Kill Your Lawn! Save Your Money (And Your Environment)
Kill Your Lawn! Turf grass is an ecological wasteland, a drain on your water bill, a maintenance nightmare, and not as attractive as everyone seems to think. Sustainable lawn alternatives are cheaper, better for the environment, require less labor and attract more pollinators and wildlife. And they're prettier than a boring sea of green!
I highly recommend following this guy's YouTube Channel! It's entertaining and educational and completely unique!
"A Low-Brow, Crass Approach to Plant Ecology & Evolution as muttered by a Misanthropic Chicago Italian." See what he has to say about it in the video embedded below.
I'm going to list a few shocking FACTS about grass lawns and let you make your own opinion about them.
1. Lawn grass is the MOST GROWN CROP in the US and we cannot eat it.
2. If every landowner in the US, big or small, converted just half of their lawn to productive native plant communities, we could transform more than 20 million acres of "ecological wasteland" into insect-supporting habitat.
3. Generating three centimeters of top soil takes 1,000 years, and if current rates of degradation continue all of the world's top soil could be gone within 60 years. (That means no food crops) Sod farms strip down the topsoil every year to harvest their sod and they do not replenish the top soils properly.
4. If you were to water the average American lawn for 20 minutes every day over a week, it’d be equivalent to taking more than 800 showers.
5. One hour of lawn mowing pollutes more than driving a car at the highest speed limits.
6. Every year across the country, lawns consume nearly 3 trillion gallons of water a year, 200 million gallons of gas (for all that mowing), and 70 million pounds of pesticides.
7. And now the million dollar question: On a weekly basis, how do you use your lawn? Or does it just sit there and cost you money?
Local landscaping company Artistree has an AWESOME series of alternative turf showcased on their website. Visit here!
- beginner succulents
- bromeliads for sun
- carrion flower
- earth star
- easy care succulents
- florida succulents
- growing stapelia
- kill your lawn
- lifesaver cactus
- madagascar plants
- mosquito proof bromeliad
- natural lawn
- starfish cactus
- succulent bromeliad
- terrestrial bromeliad
- waterwise bromeliad